Saturday, February 16, 2013

Some more perks!

Living in Florida definitely has a lot of benefits: sun, no snow, nice people, and the close proximity to really awesome places like Disney and Universal!

I went to Universal yesterday (for the low low price of practically nothing, everyone here seems to have connections...) for the first time.  We went to the Islands of Adventure half (there are 2 parks for Universal, who knew?), where the Harry Potter park is!  I was like a kid in a candy store there, the vast majority of the pictures I took were of this section of the park.  I drank butterbeer, watched a little boy choose his wand (or, in true Harry Potter fashion, watched the wand choose him) at Ollivanders, and travelled through the movies on a ride through the castle.  Seriously.  So.  Cool.




The rest was fun too, there were sections for Dr. Seuss, Marvel superheroes, Jurassic Park, classic cartoons like Blondie and Popeye, and Atlantis.  We ended the day at Margaritaville at City Walk, and overall it was definitely a fantastic day off (schools here had Friday off).

Last week was also the first full week of my taking over Spanish 1.  It went pretty well, although my students seem to have a real issue with the whole, "you need to do the homework" aspect of being in school.  I had to threaten them with extra homework and a quiz, and half of them still didn't do it...

All in all it was a pretty good start, though.  I'm having fun, getting to know all my classes (even the ones I'm not teaching yet) and on multiple occasions I've been asked where I'm from after speaking Spanish.  According to them I sound like I wasn't born in the US, which is always a confidence booster!

No comments:

Post a Comment