Monday, February 25, 2013

Sunday's train of thought


This past weekend, my host family took the other student teacher staying here and me with them to visit their two college-aged kids on Sunday at the University of Florida.  While we there, we hung out at their son's apartment and went to a girls’ lacrosse game (the Gators crushed the other team, by the way).  It was a blast; the weather was nice enough for me to get a little sunburned, the game was great, I loved hanging out with the other kids in the family and every time the Gators scored they did a free tee shirt toss!  But looking around, seeing all the UF colors and the boys hanging on the rail with their orange and blue wigs and body paint (no joke) made my friend and I realize how weird it is not to be on a college campus.  I mean, it’s basically like we’ve already graduated, which is both cool and strange at the same time.

It didn’t hit me until I was actually on a university campus, but I do miss the college atmosphere a little bit.  Don’t get me wrong, I love where I am now and am still so glad I did this program.  It’s just so different living with a family and going to a high school every day as opposed to being around all my peers in an apartment or in campus buildings.  Friends aren’t a 3 minute walk across a parking lot or through the student center, and I can’t exactly go to campus events like sports games and CAB events.  It's a completely different environment.  I don't feel like I'm missing out by being here or wish I was there (honestly, all that university togetherness probably would have driven me nuts!), but I also didn't realize how bizarre it felt not being on a college campus, since that's where I spent the last 3 and a half years of my life.  It makes me wonder if it will feel this strange when I graduate?  It's an interesting thought that I don't really have an answer to.  

Of course, while I'm here, I can distract myself from musings about my future and what-ifs with sun, endless writing of lesson plans, and weekend adventures, and it's all good from there!

No comments:

Post a Comment