Monday, March 12, 2012

And on a lighter note...

My students are taking graduation tests, meaning for the first 2 hours they're sitting in exam classrooms and then the school moves on to a schedule as if they'd had a 2 hour delay (classes are shortened to 30 minutes all week).  I was bummed because this meant I could only see my first period class.  We (my friend and I are placed at the same school) had the option of going later but we have class so I had to stick to my regular, 7:30 to 10:30 field schedule.

They were working on a word puzzle activity, so I was going around the room, helping out students who were struggling, answering questions, etc, when one of my more chatty students (who chose Alejandro as his Spanish name) called me over.

"SeƱorita, I have to ask you a question but you have to promise your opinion of me won't change."

I was automatically suspicious, because these are teenage boys and he had a little smile on his face.  I never know what they're going to say anyway, and Alejandro especially always has something creative or off the wall to contribute.

So I cautiously agreed and asked what was up.  He very seriously looked at me and said, "do you have any hand lotion?"

I couldn't help the smile (although I did, thank goodness, hold in the surprised chuckle) and sadly informed him that I didn't.  He of course couldn't believe that I, a female, didn't have any lotion on me.

Just the fact that he got so serious about this made sitting through two hours of testing worth it, and I made sure to put a bottle in my bag for tomorrow when I got back to the dorm...just in case...

No comments:

Post a Comment